MHG60791 - Pit Cluster - Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PIT (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and archaeological watching brief was undertaken by Ross and Cromarty Archaeological Services (RoCAS) in 2012 at the site of the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works. Thirty-nine pit features were recorded and excavated during the fieldwork.
At the south-western extent of the site was a large cluster of pits (F26-39). These were of various shapes and sizes and all contained a single fill. Two of the features (34 and 37) were dated to the Neolithic on the basis of Neolithic pottery recovered from their fills, and a radiocarbon date of 3009-2893 cal BC at 1 sigma (SUERC-5149) from F37.
Four pits were dated to the Bronze Age (F26, 30, 32 and 35). F26 contained sherds of probable Beaker pottery, a chip of flint, hazelnut shell and charcoal from which a radiocarbon date of 1750-1665 cal BC was obtained (SUERC-51492). F30 contained hazel nutshell fragments, two fragments of possible Bronze Age Food Vessel and charcoal which was radiocarbon dated to 1894-1775 and 1766-1683 cal BC (SUERC-51508-9). Charcoal from F32 produced a radiocarbon date of 1876-1745 cal BC (SUERC-51504) and a date of 1971-1888 cal BC was also obtained from organic residue encrusting pottery recovered from the fill (SUERC-51322). F35 was not radiocarbon dated but a piece of All Over Cord Beaker rim was recovered.
The remaining pits (F27-29, 31, 33, 36 and 39) were not diagnostically dated but given their proximity to the pits in the cluster dated to the Neolithic and Bronze Age, they are also likely of prehistoric date. <1> <2>
The excavation assemblage from the site was allocated by Treasure Trove (TT 186/14) to Cromarty Courthouse Museum. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L.. 2012. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works: Archaeological Watching Brief and Excavation. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L.. 2014. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works: Archaeological Excavation: Final Report. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 186/14.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7306 5710 (7m by 6m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SHERD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SHERD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- HAZEL NUT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/346630/rosemarkie-water-treatment-works (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.