MHG60826 - Lade - Inverlaidnan


Ruined lade at Inverlaidnan

Type and Period (1)

  • LADE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A mill (NH 8620 2108), with a lade running along the north side of the Allt an Aonaich from NH 8576 2117 to NH 8619 2107.
Information from Ann Wakeling, 8/12/99

An unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xlv), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1982).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 3 July 1996

A project to survey and record archaeological features at Inverlaidnan and Sluggan (originally named Inchluin) was undertaken by NOSAS members in 2018.

Site 2. Lade. This substantial lade (see photo Fig 4 p.33), associated with the mill (MHG26462) is approx. 650m in length and runs parallel to the Allt an Aonaich on its N bank. The lade is generally 0.7m deep and 2m in width at the east end but reduces in size further west. It is contained by a bank 2 to 3m in width x 2m height. No evidence of a sluice was seen at the west end. The lade is marked on the Roy map of c. 1750 and on estate plans of 1771 and 1808, also on the 1st edition of 1867-71. <1>

NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs. <2>

1st Edition OS 6" <3>

Roys Military Survey of Scotland, 1747-55 <4>

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NH 8586 2105 (667m by 61m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH82SE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.