MHG60859 - Well - Inverlaidnan
Well at Inverlaidnan
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A project to survey and record archaeological features at Inverlaidnan and Sluggan (originally named Inchluin) was undertaken by NOSAS members in 2018.
Site 80. Well. The eastern of 2 wells annotated on the 1770 estate plan. There is now no physical remains of any well structure but the site of it is on a SE-facing slope at the foot of a glacial terrace and 4m NW of a post-and-wire fence which separates the hillside from a field of improved pasture. A spring emerges from the ground and is manifest as an area of reed-grown water approx. 0.75m diameter and 0.5m deep, surrounded by marshy ground to a spread of 2m. This marshy ground is limited on the SE side by a raised bank up to 0.75m high. To the NE a ditch runs for approx. 50m parallel to, and 4m NW of, the fence, draining the spring and marshy ground into an area of wet scrub. <1>
Note: Site not visible on aerial photographs so location approximate. (T. Blackie 24/7/19)
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8621 2157 (2m by 2m)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.