MHG60874 - Early Neolithic pit cluster - Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- PIT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC) + Sci.Date
- PIT CLUSTER (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and archaeological watching brief was undertaken by Ross and Cromarty Archaeological Services (RoCAS) in 2012 at the site of the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works. Thirty-nine pit features were recorded and excavated during the fieldwork. Features 16 and 20, along with F17, formed a discrete line of pits. Both were oval in plan, although F16 at 0.96m x 0.9m x 0.25m was the larger of the two. It had two fills, the upper of which produced alder and hazel charcoal, together with traces of hazel nutshell. The lower fill also contained alder and hazel charcoal, with the addition of heather type charcoal. Single grains of barley and oat were also present. F20 measured 0.62m x 0.54m x 0.26m deep and also had two fills. The upper, main fill produced significant amounts of alder and hazel charcoal, together with hazel nutshell and sherds of Early-Middle Neolithic pottery. These pits produced Early Neolithic radiocarbon dates of 3622-3378 BC and 3510-3370 BC, calibrated to 1 sigma (SUERC-51484 and SUERC-51483). Dating by association can also be applied to F17, which was located between F16 and F20. <1> <2>
The excavation assemblage from the site was allocated by Treasure Trove (TT 186/14) to Cromarty Courthouse Museum. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L.. 2012. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works: Archaeological Watching Brief and Excavation. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L.. 2014. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works: Archaeological Excavation: Final Report. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. 186/14.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7309 5709 (2m by 2m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- CEREAL GRAIN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- SHERD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- HAZEL NUT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/346630/ (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.