MHG60877 - Pits - Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- PIT (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and archaeological watching brief was undertaken by Ross and Cromarty Archaeological Services (RoCAS) in 2012 at the site of the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works. Thirty-nine pit features were recorded and excavated during the fieldwork. Feature 3 was located at the northern edge of the site and was interpreted as a pit or a posthole. It contained some fire-cracked stones and a charcoal-rich lens in its upper fill, while the lower fill contained alder and hazel charcoal with hazel nutshell fragments. These remains are consistent with general domestic hearth waste probably from the prehistoric period due to the significant quantities of hazel nutshell present.
Similarly, F24, a small pit located towards the northwest edge of the site, contained a single fill with charcoal from birch, hazel and willow, with slight traces of hazel nutshell. As before, this assemblage would be consistent with domestic hearth waste from the prehistoric period. This is perhaps confirmed by the presence of two flint flakes.
It was not possible to assign any period to Features 1 and 2, which were located towards the north-eastern limit of the site. F1 was a shallow pit with straight sides and a flat base measuring 1.45m x 1.0m, which was covered with a layer of stones. Mixed in amongst the stones was a charcoal-flecked brown loam. Nothing was retrieved from the feature to suggest either it function or date. F2 was a small patch of burning in an area of redeposited natural that could have been modern in date. <1> <2>
The excavation assemblage from the site was allocated by Treasure Trove (TT 186/14) to Cromarty Courthouse Museum. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L.. 2012. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works: Archaeological Watching Brief and Excavation. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L.. 2014. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Waste Water Works: Archaeological Excavation: Final Report. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. 186/14.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7312 5713 (58m by 15m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- FLAKE (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- HAZEL NUT (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/346630/rosemarkie-water-treatment-works (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.