MHG60919 - Clashmore School


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

There was a two room school at Clashmore, used primarily by children on the Skibo estate. Blossom Gow, who attended the school, has photos of the school; there are 32 pupils pictured. HistoryLinks archives show that the first school was built in 1859. It was bought by Andrew Carnegie in 1898 and a new school was built in 1939 by Mrs Carnegie. The school was situated on the East Drive. It closed in 1968 and the children were then bussed to Dornoch. The building was used as a joinery workshop after closure. It is now a private house. (Information from Sue Higgins, HistoryLinks Museum). HistoryLinks Archive has a class picture taken in front of the school from 1898. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 7473 8949 (31m by 31m)
Map sheet NH78NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.