MHG60964 - Enclosure - Crask
Enclosure and possible lazy beds, Crask
Type and Period (2)
- LAZY BEDS? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A project to survey and record archaeological features at Inverlaidnan and Sluggan (originally named Inchluin) was undertaken by NOSAS members in 2018
Crask - This farmstead (see MHG25009) is located in heathery moorland c.1km SW of Sluggan Bridge and 100m east of the access bridge to Inverlaidnan. It comprises the remains of a building with a possible midden and an improved area of ground with possible remnants of lazy beds.
Site 77. Improved Ground. An area of grassland to the north of the building is roughly 40m square and has patches of juniper surrounding it. At the north end several short linear raised ridges may be the remnants of lazy beds, they are 0.5m high and 1.5m in width. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2019. Inverlaidnan and Sluggan/Inchluin, near Carrbridge, Inverness-shire: The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains in 2018. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.31 Site 77.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8667 2112 (92m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.