MHG60975 - Crofthouse, Croft 12 - Laide
Crofthouse and possible store, Croft 12 at Laide
Type and Period (2)
- CROFTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- STOREHOUSE? (Built, 20th Century - 1901 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A survey of the Laide settlement area was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Macintyre, J. in 2011.
The land of Croft 12 extends eastwards beyond the road towards the top of the cliff that drops to the shore of Gruinard Bay.
Site 1. Ruin of building. This appears to have had four compartments, the northmost one being open ended. On the low outside wall of this compartment are mortar wall cappings showing tar drips. It is possible this compartment was lower than the rest of the building and might have been used as a store. The building is in such a ruined state that it is not possible to positively identify any window positions. The sizes of the compartments are quite small, but it is possible that the largest of the four, may have been a dwelling. See sketch and photographs. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Croft 12, Laide. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1-27 Site 1.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8985 9243 (10m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105051 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.