MHG60978 - Hut circle - near Inverkirkaig
A hut circle near Inverkirkaig.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Hut circle - near Inverkirkaig
209060 919587 Inverkirkaig 3 GS044: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and G Sleight in 2013 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular stone structure lies 40m from a modern forestry deer fence. It is engulfed by bracken in a landscape of mature heather. The site is on a gentle west facing slope in a relatively flat area in an enclosed inland valley surrounded by rocky slopes. There are limited views from the site. The site is 10m from a stream, 700m from a river, 200m from fresh water loch Loch Bad na Muiriehinn and 1500m from sea loch Loch Kirkaig. The average inner diameter of the structure is 10.5m, outer diameter is 14m. The double skinned wall is 2m thick. No height was measurable. There are very vague indications of an entrance in both SSW and SSE arcs. Within the structure are three possible small shielings. This HC is the largest of a closely sited group of three. It is 40m from both KC003 (see MHG19445) and KC004 (see MHG57320). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. GS044.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. GS044.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0905 1959 (18m by 18m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.