MHG60992 - Fank, Croft 19 - Laide
Ruined fank, Croft 19 at Laide
Type and Period (1)
- FANK (Built, Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A survey of the Laide settlement area was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Macintyre, J. in 2011.
Croft 19. The croftland is mostly rough grass, with evidence of previous cultivation in the lower part. A drain across the bottom takes the issues to the burn, Allt Na Doire Leithe, and below this drain the area is very wet and boggy.
Fank. Remains of the fank used by the crofters of Laide to collect and dip sheep. This was still in use in the second half of the 20th century. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> SHG28309 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Croft 19, Laide. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.4.
- <2> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8970 9207 (16m by 11m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105051 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.