MHG61002 - Fish Trap - Rhiconich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FISH TRAP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) FIELD BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval to 20th Century - 1560 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A linear fish trap is faintly visible on aerial photography across a small bay at Rhiconich. It measures approximately 75m. <1>
The fish trap was photographed during aerial surveys by HES in 2015. See link below to HES Canmore record for photos. <2>
The 2nd Edition OS Map depicts a square enclosure, with the northern edge running across the small headland, bay and back onto the land. The remains are visible in the bay in aerial photography, but not on the land which is why it has been interpreted as a fish trap. <3>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 349708.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2541 5242 (79m by 21m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/349708/rhiconich (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.