MHG61007 - Old Smithy - Croft 2, Laide
Old Smithy, Croft 2 at Laide
Type and Period (2)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A survey of the Laide settlement area was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Macintyre, J. in 2011.
Croft 2. Most of this croft it has undergone considerable development with new housing. It is possible that at an earlier date croft 2 may have comprised a greater area. It was not uncommon for croftland to be split to even out the share of better arable land.
Site 1. Old Smithy. This has been modernized and extended, and is now a guesthouse, but the building is shown on both the 1st and 2nd OS maps as the Smithy. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Crofts 2, 16, 26, 3, 5, Laide. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1-14 Site 1.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8967 9123 (19m by 18m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105051 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.