MHG61065 - Crofthouse - Croft 4, North Erradale, Gairloch
Ruined crofthouse, Croft 4, North Erradale, Gairloch
Type and Period (1)
- CROFTHOUSE (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising fifty-five roofed buildings, four partially roofed buildings and seven unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Seventeen roofed buildings, two partially roofed buildings and twenty-six unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
1845 North Erradale estate map <1>
A survey of North Erradale was undertaken in 2013 by Macinnes. A, Harnden, A. Blakey, R. and researched by Macintyre. I. Croft 4 is situated in the SE corner of the township.
Site A. Crofthouse. There are three rooms in this building, with the middle and west rooms being connected by a doorway and accessed by a doorway on the south wall. <2> <3> <4>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <5>
1st Edition OS 6" <6>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. Croft 4 North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1-12 Site A.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. The ruins and features of North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.19 Site 49.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. Crofts 1-4, 6-8 North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.10-12.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <6> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7465 8059 (15m by 6m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104968 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.