MHG61069 - Building - Croft 19, North Erradale, Gairloch
Ruined building/barn? Croft 19, North Erradale, Gairloch
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BARN? (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising fifty-five roofed buildings, four partially roofed buildings and seven unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Seventeen roofed buildings, two partially roofed buildings and twenty-six unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
1845 North Erradale estate map <1>
A survey of North Erradale was undertaken in 2013 by Macinnes, A. Harnden, A. Blakey, R. and researched by Macintyre, I. Croft 19; the older demarcation of the croft boundaries are stone dykes which are continuous on the north and east sides. The head dyke of the township crosses the southeast corner with three ruined buildings on the croft.
Site B. This building is not shown on the Estate map of 1845, but is shown as roofed on both the 1st and 2nd OS maps. The west and east gable walls are above sill height but the rest of the building remains as low tumbled walls. A doorway is evident but due to the height of walls, no windows remain. <2> <3>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <4>
1st Edition OS 6" <5>
- <1> SHG25450 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes.
- <2> SHG28319 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. The ruins and features of North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.2.
- <3> SHG28318 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. Croft 19 North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.3 Site B.
- <4> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <5> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7456 8114 (12m by 9m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104968 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.