MHG61074 - Building/byre - Croft 24, North Erradale, Gairloch
Ruined building/byre, Croft 24, North Erradale, Gairloch
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising fifty-five roofed buildings, four partially roofed buildings and seven unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Seventeen roofed buildings, two partially roofed buildings and twenty-six unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
1845 North Erradale estate map <1>
A survey of North Erradale was undertaken in 2013 by Macinnes, A. Harnden, A. Blakey, R. and researched by Macintyre, I. Croft 24 lies on a north to south slope and has an undulating surface. It is drained by a stream which runs from the NE corner of the croft, bends to the east as it flows south and exits the croft at the midway point of the south boundary. The sites of a number of ruined buildings are first shown on the Estate maps of 1845.
Site C. This building is shown on the 1st OS 1875 and is still roofed on the 2nd OS of 1901. It is now an unroofed ruin. It is constructed of double faced walls with infill of small stones. The stones are dressed and chosen, layered, with snecking. The walls range in height from 1.8m to 0.6m. There are two windows and a doorway. No obvious fireplace but it may be hidden behind the tumble. A large slab of stone which is part of the inner wall divides the building into two rooms. The byre was added on at later date and sits on a platform of large stones. The construction is rougher. There is a byre drain lined with stone blocks. <2> <3>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <4>
1st Edition OS 6" <5>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. The ruins and features of North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.3 Site 2/p.38.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. Croft 24 North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1-12 Site C.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7431 8139 (14m by 16m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104968 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.