MHG61119 - Buildings - Croft 11, North Erradale, Gairloch
Two ruined buildings, Croft 11, North Erradale, Gairloch
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising fifty-five roofed buildings, four partially roofed buildings and seven unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Seventeen roofed buildings, two partially roofed buildings and twenty-six unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
1845 North Erradale estate map <1>
A survey of North Erradale was undertaken in 2013 by Macinnes, A. Harnden, A. Blakey, R. and researched by Macintyre, I.
Croft 11, Site 60. On a cleared area set back from beach there is the ruin of a building with no doors or windows except in the gable end. A platform is on the west side. It is known by the name ‘Cuilag’ and known to have been used latterly as winter quarters for a 'tinker' family called Miller. <2> <3>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <4>
1st Edition OS 6" <5>
Note; there are photos of two ruins on p.22 Site 60 in 'The ruins and features of North Erradale' (T.Blackie 9/11/19)
- <1> SHG25450 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes.
- <2> SHG28319 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. The ruins and features of North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.22 Site 60.
- <3> SHG28325 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. Crofts 9-14 North Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.13-14.
- <4> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <5> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7394 8100 (38m by 42m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104968 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.