MHG61131 - Fishing Stands - River Alness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FISHING STAND (Undated)
- None recorded
Nine fishing cains are depicted on the 2nd Edition OS maps. Three of these are labelled 'Old Fishing Cairns'. <1> <2>
RCAHMS photographed the area during their aerial surveys in 2014. See link below to HES Canmore record for photos. <4>
GIS spatial data is traced from the 2nd Edition 25 Inch OS map. Three of the fish stands appear to be offshore, however this is a result of the slight distortion of the older mapping. Current OS Master Mapping (2019), which depicts seven of the fish stands, indicates their location onshore. GW 10/10/19
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital. XY
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 348043.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6627 6779 (570m by 437m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/348043/river-alness (Link to online HES Canmore record)