MHG61131 - Fishing Stands - River Alness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FISHING STAND (Undated)
- None recorded
Nine fishing cains are depicted on the 2nd Edition OS maps. Three of these are labelled 'Old Fishing Cairns'. <1> <2>
RCAHMS photographed the area during their aerial surveys in 2014. See link below to HES Canmore record for photos. <4>
GIS spatial data is traced from the 2nd Edition 25 Inch OS map. Three of the fish stands appear to be offshore, however this is a result of the slight distortion of the older mapping. Current OS Master Mapping (2019), which depicts seven of the fish stands, indicates their location onshore. GW 10/10/19
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital. XY
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 348043.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6627 6779 (570m by 437m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/348043/river-alness (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.