MHG61152 - Kennels - Roshven
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- KENNELS (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
In 2011, rhododendron clearance near West Lodge, Roshven, revealed a ruined building. It was not shown on the First Edition OS Six-inch map (1876) but it appeared on the 1899 Second Edition labelled as ‘Kennels’. The area is still locally known as Kennel Park, but is nowadays bisected by the A861, built in 1968. The building was inside the original grounds of the Roshven Estate, bought in 1853 by Professor Hugh Blackburn of Glasgow.
Ken and Jean Bowker undertook a survey of the building between December 2012-February 2013. The stone building, externally measured 7.6m X 3.5m., and was very roughly built and divided into two compartments, with a single doorway about 0.75m wide in the south wall. Both the east and west gable walls (the west gable was unstable and mostly collapsed) had linteled openings through them, each 0.75 wide but only 1m high – presumably a doorway for dogs. Each of these low entrances opened into what were open compounds with metal fence posts lead-sweated into the low walls, connected by wire fence lines, the remains of which were scattered around. There was no sign of roofing, although fragments of very rusted corrugated iron sheets were visible to the west of the building: but this was more likely to be left over from military occupation in the second world war. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7024 7837 (17m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/348677/roshven-kennels (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.