MHG61213 - Unprovenanced Finds - Sutherland
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- None recorded
There are various finds in the NMS catalogue lacking provenance information. Listed below (by accession number) are those recorded only as having been found in Sutherland:
AD 1012: An arrowhead of flint, acquired 1900.
AL 186: Whetstone of quartzite; small, oblong and square at both ends.
IA 46: rey granite stone with pink specks, hollowed on top, roughly globular, the sides carved with three human faces. It was a gift from Kilmarnoch Public Libraries and Museum in 1957. <1>
The online Ashmolean collections catalogue also lists objects from 'Sutherlandshire'. These comprise two decorated Angle-Saxon copper alloy strapends (1927.124-5), a penannular brooch terminal (1927.127) and a copper alloy bead (1927.128). See links below. The two strap ends were discussed in A. Blackwell's PhD Thesis, where they are identified as 8th/9th Century in date and belonging to a class with a strikingly northern distribution. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data is centred on Sutherland and does not represent a findspot. GW 03/09/20
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: University of Oxford. 2020. Ashmolean Online Collections. 1927.124-5, 1927.127-8.
- <3> Text/Publication: Blackwell, A.. 2018. A reassessment of the Anglo-Saxon artefacts from Scotland: material interactions and identities in early medieval northern Britain. PhD thesis, University of Glasgow. University of Glasgow. Digital. A055, A056.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5316 2670 (20m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://collections.ashmolean.org/collection/search/per_page/25/offset/0/sort_by/relevance/object/23691 (Link to online Ashmolean collections catalogue)
- http://collections.ashmolean.org/collection/search/per_page/25/offset/0/sort_by/relevance/object/60456 (Link to online Ashmolean collections catalogue)
- http://collections.ashmolean.org/collection/search/per_page/25/offset/0/sort_by/relevance/object/82932 (Link to online Ashmolean collections catalogue)
- http://collections.ashmolean.org/collection/search/per_page/25/offset/0/sort_by/relevance/object/82933 (Link to online Ashmolean collections catalogue)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.