MHG61232 - Unprovenanced Finds - Skye
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- None recorded
There are various finds in the NMS catalogue lacking provenance information. Listed below (by accession number) are those recorded only as having been found in Skye:
1890.599: Spindle whorl of steatite, one face rounded, the other flat. Acquired from Miss Brown in 1890.
FE 9: Bronze Age penannular Ring, consisting of thin exterior plate of gold enclosing copper core. Acquired 1782 from Reverend Donald McQueen.
FE 104: Bronze Age ornament or dress fastener of gold, cup-ended with a hoop of circular cross-section, possibly unfinished (See link below to NMS blog post about the object)
FK 50: Iron Age blue-glazed melon bead. Acquired 1782 from Reverend Donald McQueen.
FK 76: Adder bead. Acquired 1898 from J.R. Findlay.
FN 5: Bangle of bituminous shale. Acquired 1784 from Reverend Donald McQueen.
FN 43: Neolithic round slider of shale, with an oblong opening in the centre, 3" long. Acquired 1784 from Reverend Donald McQueen.
FN 103: Finger ring of cannel coal or shale, 1" diameter. Acquired 1898 from J.R. Findlay. <1>
A food vessel, recorded only as from Skye, was donated to the Hunterian Museum. It is listed under Acc. No. GLAHM:A.133. See link below to their online catalogue for photo. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5000 3000 (60m by 60m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- PENANNULAR RING (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BEAD (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- BEAD (Undated)
- BRACELET (Undated)
- BELT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- FINGER RING (Undated)
- VESSEL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- DRESS FASTENER (UNKNOWN) (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://collections.gla.ac.uk/ (Link to online Hunterian Museum catalogue record)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-036-558-C& (Link to NMS online collections data base FJ 50)
- www.nms.ac.uk/collections-research/our-research/featured-projects/prehistoric-gold/gold-object-of-the-week/gold-object-of-the-week-9/ (Link to NMS blog post about gold ornament)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.