MHG61243 - Possible hut circle or sheep fold - Strath Beag
A possible hut circle or sheep fold in Strath Beag.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) SHEEP FOLD? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A possible hut circle or sheep fold in Strath Beag near Achkeepster.
A large circular feature c. 15m across is shown on vertical APs dating to 1999-2001 and 2009. It does not appear on historic OS maps and has been overlain by later dykes in its northwest quadrant. It is either a prehistoric hut circle or a sheep fold but given its appearance and the fact that it does not appear on the older OS maps then the former is probably more likely. However, it is marked as 'Sheepfold (disused)' on modern OS maps. <1> <2> <3>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1445 4879 (28m by 28m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.