MHG61265 - MD assemblage - Dornoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Metal detecting in the vicinity of Dornoch has recovered an assemblage of 7 MD finds: Twised annular brooch fragment; square headed decorated pin w/collar; arrow shaped belt mount (17th c); brooch pin; decorated shoe buckle; lead pencil; cu alloy rim These were claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 108/16) and allocated to Historylinks Museum, Dornoch. <1>
The Treasure Trove Artefact report has re-identified some of this assemblage to include a frustum headed pin of 12th-14th century date, a sword belt or baldric buckle of 16th-17th century date (engraved with same design as highland brooches) and fragment of 15th-17th century highland brooches. <2>
Historylinks museum Acc. No. 2017_020. <3>
This claimed assemblage is pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library, No. 13422. See link below. <4>
Grid reference provided is marginal, precise location of finds is unknown. GW 15/11/19
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 108/16.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 108/16. XY
- <3> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. No. 13422.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. 2017_020.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7900 8900 (20m by 20m)|
- PIN (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- BUCKLE (16th Century to 17th Century - 1501 AD to 1700 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number13422.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.