MHG61268 - MD assemblage - Dornoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Metal detecting in the vicinity of Dornoch has recovered an assemblage of 42 objects comprising fragments of annular brooches; buckles, belt mounts, numismatica and domestic objects. This assemblage was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 105/16) and allocated to Historylinks Museum, Dornoch. <1>
The Treasure Trove Artefact report details that the material includes medieval buckles and dress fittings, some of these being unusual finds for Scotland, as well as brooches and strap fittings. Other finds include a pommel from a 17th century Dutch knife (mirroring previous examples from the area) and domestic items such as pot mends. There is also a further example of a Georgian military find (in this case, a stock clasp) that can be paralleled by earlier finds and taken as a whole suggest training took place in the area during the Napoleonic Wars.
This material (both in type and date) compares well with previous finds from nearby fields and adds considerably to the same story of earlier batches now in both Dornoch and Inverness museums. <2>
Historylinks museum Acc. No. 2017_018. <3>
This claimed assemblage is pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library, No. 13420. See link below. <4>
A full grid reference for the assemblage is held by Treasure Trove. GW 09/07/20
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 105/16.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 105/16.
- <3> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. No. 13420.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. 2017_018. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7970 9030 (20m by 20m)|
- ASSEMBLAGE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- KNIFE (17th Century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- CLASP (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT MEND (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number13420.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.