MHG61280 - Communion Token and Musket Balls - Pitgrudy Farm, Dornoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- None recorded
A lead communion token, found by a metal detectorist at Pitgrudy Farm, is pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library, No. 11225. It is described as oval in shape but fairly mis-shapen, with a visible 316 on one side and some unreadable letters, and on the other side a crest in a beaded border. It was probably for Dornoch cathedral and possibly 18th Century in date given its shape.
A number of musketballs have also been discovered by metal detecting at Pitgrudy Farm. See Nos. 11280, 11195 and 11196. <1>
Historylinks Acc. No. 2012_027_032 (Communion Token), 2012_027_002-003 and 2012_028_006 (musket balls). <2>
Grid reference is marginal and indicative of Pitgrudy Farm area only. GW 15/11/19
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. Nos. 11225, 11280, 11195 and 11196. XY
- <2> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. 2012_027_032, 2012_027_002-003, 2012_028_006.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7900 9100 (20m by 20m)|
- TOKEN (18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- MUSKET BALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number11195.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library (musket balls))
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number11196.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library (musket balls))
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number11225.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library (communion token))
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number11280.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library (musket ball))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.