MHG61282 - Turf building - South Erradale, Gairloch
Remains of turf building at South Erradale, Gairloch.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A field-system and a crofting township comprising thirty-seven roofed, four partially roofed, five unroofed buildings, and ten enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lvi). The field-system lies at the SE end of the township. Seventeen roofed, one partially roofed, four unroofed buildings, and the field-system are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 April 1996
See MHG21432 for main township record.
A survey of South Erradale was undertaken by Macinnes, A. in 2013.
Site 62. One of a group of four turf buildings outside the head dyke. Part of the original settlement pre Gairloch estate map of 1845. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7507 7126 (7m by 6m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104956 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.