MHG61308 - MD finds - Ospisdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
19 objects were found during metal detecting near Ospisdale. Some were disclaimed but others were claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 77/13) and allocated to Dornoch History Links. <1>
Individual grid references are given for the 11 claimed objects in the TT report (TT 77/13). These fall into groups at two locations (see MHG61309 for other location). Those from near Opsidale comprise a zoomorphic D-shaped buckle, decorated annular brooch, pin from an annular brooch, a stamped cup weight (Nuremberg), two lead alloy spindle whorl, decorated and undecorated and a small copper alloy ingot. See attached Treasure Trove artefact report for more details. <2>
Historylinks museum Acc. Nos. 2014_043_01, 2014_043_02, 2014_043_03, 2015_043_07, 2014_043_08, 2014_043_09 and 2014_043_10 <3>
Some of the finds are pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. Search Nos.12162-4 and 12168-71 at the link below.
Also pictured are the disclaimed objects from the assemblage, which are an Elizabeth I silver half groat, 2 badly worn coins, a piece of worked flint and a 17th century copper alloy key. Seach nos. 12026-31. <4>
The 11 objects come from separate grid references, but these fall into groups at two locations. One record for each of these locations has been created as an indicative centroid. Individual GRS have been published on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. GW 19/11/19
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 77/13.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 77/13. XY
- <3> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. 2014_043_01-03, 2014_043_07-10.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. Nos.12162-4, 12168-71, 12026-31.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7160 8937 (20m by 20m)|
- BUCKLE (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- ANNULAR BROOCH (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- PIN (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- WEIGHT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- INGOT (Undated)
- COIN (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLAKE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- KEY (LOCKING) (17th Century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- CLOTH SEAL (17th Century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/index.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.