MHG61346 - Hut circle - Uig South (13)
A hut circle at Uig.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Uig.
139105 862424 Uig S 13 JAN071: The hut circle was visited by A Welti, A MacInnes, B Blackburn and M Wildgoose in 2018 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. A cluster of 14 circular stone structure sare scattered over a 1000m x 500m area of grazed grassland at South Cuil, on slopes varying from gentle to steep, and all facing west over Uig Bay. Numerous field walls and enclosures, many of which appear ancient, indicate long term usage of this grazing land. A farm track runs NE/SW below most of the HC cluster and along the fairly level base of the sloping ground. A standing stone (MHG5772) which could indicate ritual activities, is at a distance of 510m from JAN071. The HC sits just below the main road and is at the edge of a steep drop to the sea 20m away. Walling downslope seems to stop the structure sliding downwards. A new track to the East of the HC creates a bank on the Eastern edge. Vegetation inside and outside the structure is a mixture of bracken and grass. Views from the site are panoramic to the sea. The platform is dug into sand built out from a moderate west facing slope. Inner diameter of the HC averages 8.0mm, outer diameter is 10.5m. Double skinned wall thickness is 1.2m with maximum height 0.3m. No entrance could be discerned. JAN071 is 150m from JAN070 (see MHG61344). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 according to location as seen on 1999-2001 Aps. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. JAN071.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. JAN071.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3909 6243 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.