MHG61349 - House and garden, Croft 7 (‘ Lota Nunaidh(Donnchadh Choinnich Eachann Mhoir) - Port Henderson
House with substantial garden wall at Port Henderson
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (19th Century - 1881 AD to 1900 AD (between))
- GARDEN (19th Century - 1881 AD to 1900 AD (between))
- WALL (19th Century - 1881 AD to 1900 AD (between))
- None recorded
A crofting township comprising forty-five roofed, three partially roofed and twelve unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lvi). Thirty-eight roofed, three partially roofed and fifteen unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 April 1996
Created in 1815 as a fishing village by taking portions of the lands of South Erradale and Ardrishaig, later extended into a crofting township. ‘Streets’ of cottages along the foreshore, backed by small plots of land, indicate the original fishing village, while the grid pattern of crofting lots lies to east and west.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/03/04
A detailed survey of Port Henderson was undertaken in 2011 by Buchanan, J. Buchanan, M. and Macinnes, A. with research by Wentworth, R. and Malone, D. <1>
Croft 7 known as ‘Lota Nunaidh(Donnchadh Choinnich Eachann Mhoir). House with garden which according to records and local knowledge was built at the end of the 19th century. The stone from earlier buildings shown on the 1st edition OS was used for the house, the substantial garden wall and a nearby barn to the north (MHG61345). <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
2nd Edition OS 6" <4>
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 18.
- <1> Text/Report: Malone, D. & MacInnes, A.. 2013. Port Henderson: Past & Present: The story of a former fishing village & crofting township. Unaffiliated. Digital. p.4 and 36.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2011. Croft 7, Port Henderson. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1-3.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7491 7342 (18m by 21m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104957 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.