MHG61365 - Crofthouse, Croft 10 known as ‘Lota Dhonnchadh Ruaidh’ - Port Henderson
Crofthouse at Port Henderson
Type and Period (1)
- CROFTHOUSE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1882 AD to 1904 AD (between))
- None recorded
A crofting township comprising forty-five roofed, three partially roofed and twelve unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lvi). Thirty-eight roofed, three partially roofed and fifteen unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 April 1996
Created in 1815 as a fishing village by taking portions of the lands of South Erradale and Ardrishaig, later extended into a crofting township. ‘Streets’ of cottages along the foreshore, backed by small plots of land, indicate the original fishing village, while the grid pattern of crofting lots lies to east and west.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/03/04
A detailed survey of Port Henderson was undertaken in 2011 by Buchanan, J. Buchanan, M. and Macinnes, A. with research by Wentworth, R. and Malone, D. <1>
Croft 10 known as ‘Lota Dhonnchadh Ruaidh’. Croft house with a substantial garden wall, now used as holiday house. The stone from the adjacant footings of a building probably went into the substantial wall around the house. (see MHG61363) <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
2nd Edition OS 6" <4>
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 18.
- <1> Text/Report: Malone, D. & MacInnes, A.. 2013. Port Henderson: Past & Present: The story of a former fishing village & crofting township. Unaffiliated. Digital. p.4 and 36.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2011. Croft 10, Port Henderson. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1, 8.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7526 7359 (16m by 17m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104957 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.