MHG61374 - Crofthouse, Croft 12 known as ‘Lota Rodaidh See’ - Port Henderson

Summary

Crofthouse, modernised and extended at Port Henderson

Type and Period (1)

  • CROFTHOUSE (19th Century - 1840 AD to 1850 AD (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A crofting township comprising forty-five roofed, three partially roofed and twelve unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lvi). Thirty-eight roofed, three partially roofed and fifteen unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 April 1996

Created in 1815 as a fishing village by taking portions of the lands of South Erradale and Ardrishaig, later extended into a crofting township. ‘Streets’ of cottages along the foreshore, backed by small plots of land, indicate the original fishing village, while the grid pattern of crofting lots lies to east and west.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/03/04

A detailed survey of Port Henderson was undertaken in 2011 by Buchanan, J. Buchanan, M. and Macinnes, A. with research by Wentworth, R. and Malone, D. <1>

Croft 12 known as ‘Lota Rodaidh See’. The original crofthouse is modernised and extended with some of the demolished stone from a smaller building shown on the 1st Edition OS used to build newer stone walls. <2>

NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <3>

1st Edition OS 6" <4>

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 7561 7377 (19m by 18m)
Map sheet NG77SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.