MHG61384 - Hut Circle - Achnacloich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
The Skye and Lochalsh Archive centre contains material from excavations at a hut circle at Achnacloich. These were undertaken sometime between 1988-93 by Charles Burney of the University of Manchester. The Archive Centre contains a plan of the hut circle, described as 'Site C' at GR NG 5880 0820 and an illustration of a reconstructed cooking pot from 25 rim and upper body sherds recovered from core fill of the hut circle wall and spoil heap. These sherds come from what was probably a single, hand-made vessel with a wide mouth (270mm), slight shoulder below a flat upright rim and a cordon below this. The sherds had a grey/brown fabric with mica inclusions (thickness 8mm) with some evidence of burnishing from being used on a fire in the form of vertical transition of colour, texture and some sooting below the rim exterior. Some of these sherds are with the archive centre, listed under Acc. No. 1993.6. <1> <2>
Visible on aerial photography is a faint circular feature which is likely to be the hut circle. <3> <4>
This hut circle is one of at least three sites that were investigated by Charles Burney of the University of Manchester in 1993. Two of these (Site A, Coille A' Ghasgain, MHG13992; Site B, Cnoc Na Fuarachad, MHG18628) are published in the 1994 DES, and an interim report for Site A was published in the Manchester Archaeological Bulletin (volume 8). Site C, Achnacloich (MHG61384) does not appear have have been published anywhere, although pottery from the site and a site plan is held in the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre. The DES entry for Site A indicates that the site archive was lodged with what is now the Skye and Lochalsh Archive centre, which does contain some finds from the site, and it is likely that the archive for all three sites was sent here. Correspondance with the Archive Centre has discovered that there are still boxes to be added to the database which may contain further archive material from these sites. GW 05/12/19
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre. Achnocloich, Site C, 1993.6.
- <2> Collection: Skye & Lochalsh Archive Centre. 2019. Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre Archive Files.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5881 0820 (14m by 15m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SHERD (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.