MHG61389 - Shed, Croft 16 known as ‘Lota Loftaidh’ - Port Henderson


Stone building (once the local undertakers), now renovated as a shed at Port Henderson

Type and Period (2)

  • FUNERAL DIRECTORS (19th Century to 20th Century - 1880 AD (between) to 1902 AD (between))
  • BUILDING (19th Century to 20th Century - 1880 AD (between) to 1902 AD (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A crofting township comprising forty-five roofed, three partially roofed and twelve unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lvi). Thirty-eight roofed, three partially roofed and fifteen unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 April 1996

Created in 1815 as a fishing village by taking portions of the lands of South Erradale and Ardrishaig, later extended into a crofting township. ‘Streets’ of cottages along the foreshore, backed by small plots of land, indicate the original fishing village, while the grid pattern of crofting lots lies to east and west.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/03/04

A detailed survey of Port Henderson was undertaken in 2011 by Buchanan, J. Buchanan, M. and Macinnes, A. with research by Wentworth, R. and Malone, D. <1>

Croft 16 known as ‘Lota Loftaidh’. Stone building which was once the undertakers, now renovated as a shed. <2>

NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <3>

2nd Edition OS 6" <4>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NG 7597 7395 (12m by 11m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG77SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.