MHG61399 - Enclosure, Croft 20 known as 'Lota Choinnich Alasdair’ - Port Henderson


Enclosure at Port Henderson

Type and Period (1)

  • ENCLOSURE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1880 AD (between) to 1902 AD (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A crofting township comprising forty-five roofed, three partially roofed and twelve unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lvi). Thirty-eight roofed, three partially roofed and fifteen unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 April 1996

Created in 1815 as a fishing village by taking portions of the lands of South Erradale and Ardrishaig, later extended into a crofting township. ‘Streets’ of cottages along the foreshore, backed by small plots of land, indicate the original fishing village, while the grid pattern of crofting lots lies to east and west.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/03/04

A detailed survey of Port Henderson was undertaken in 2011 by Buchanan, J. Buchanan, M. and Macinnes, A. with research by Wentworth, R. and Malone, D. <1>

Croft 20 known as 'Lota Choinnich Alasdair’. (From the 1st OS through to the modern OS map, the name ‘Liang na h-Atha’ is written on the croft meaning 'green of the kiln'). Enclosure - 1st Edition OS shows a roofed building with a small enclosure to the south. <2>

NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>

2nd Edition OS 6" <4>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NG 7560 7413 (18m by 7m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG77SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.