MHG61404 - Brooch - Balrobert
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A silver heart brooch with a crown on top was found at Balrobert and submitted to Treasure Trove in 2010 (TT 56/10). It was complete with pin, and bears an engraved inscription on the rear face, reading 'Love Vertue'. The brooch has been made professionally, however the inscription is crude, suggesting that it was added after being bought and before being presented. The brooch is of a distinctly Scottish type of post-medieval date. Such brooches were often used as love tokens or charms. See attached TT artefact report. <1> <2>
The brooch was allocated to Inverness Museum and is listed under Acc. No. 2011.009 in the IMAG catalogue. A short report is held in the museum's archive files. <3> <4>
Grid reference is marginal and indicative of Balrobert area only. GW 10/12/19
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 56/10. XY
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 56/10.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2011.009.
- <4> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 2011.009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6500 4000 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- BROOCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.