MHG61454 - Orchard, garden, pets graveyard at Castle Leod - Strathpeffer
Orchard/Garden/pets graveyard, Castle Leod, Strathpeffer
Type and Period (3)
- ORCHARD (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- GARDEN (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- ANIMAL CEMETERY (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
A project of surveying and recording the archaeological sites within the grounds of Castle Leod was carried out by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS) in the winter of 2012-13.
Site 12. Garden measuring 60m x 50m. This is a relatively modern kitchen garden surrounded by a fence. It has a cultivated vegetable plot at its centre, an orchard in the SE part and a pet’s graveyard with several headstones in the NE corner. The garden is not marked on the 2nd Edition OS map of 1904. <1>
Ordnance Survey Mastermap <2>
Note: Site not visible on aerial photographs so location approximate. (T. Blackie 3/2/20)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 2013. Report of an archaeological survey of the Policies of Castle Leod, Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.14 Site 12.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4869 5940 (80m by 70m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12469 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.