MHG6146 - Terra-Cotta Figurine - Dun Fiadhairt
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NG25SW0001B
NG25SW 1.00 2311 5042
NG25SW 1.01 terracotta figurine
(NG 2311 5042) Dun (NR)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
Dun Fiadhairt, a broch, measures 31ft internally within a wall up to 12ft thick. The entrance in the W is checked for a door and fitted with two communicating cells. Another cell lies in the NW sector of the wall, and the stair-lobby in the N, while a gallery occupies the E and S sectors (R W Feachem 1963).
Excavated in 1914 (F T Macleod 1915). Finds included an amber necklace, various beads with one dating from probably 2nd century AD., and a terra-cotta model of a bale of wool indicating trade links with Romanized Britain.
F T Macleod 1915; J Curle 1932; RCAHMS 1928; R W Feachem 1963.
Dun Fiadhairt, as described above. Largely cleared of debris; good condition.
Visited by OS (A C) 14 April 1961.
NG25SW 1.01 2311 5042
Mann and Curle note the discovery of a small terra-cotta votive
offering in the form of a model of a bale of hides or fleeces at the broch and suggest that it was probably brought by a trader from the south during the Roman period, as the local population did not use terra-cotta.
Roman terra-cotta object now in NMAS.
A Robertson 1970.
Acquired by the NMS in 1915 from Countess Vincent Baillet de Latour. Acc. No. GA 1013. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curle, J. 1932. 'An inventory of objects of Roman and provincial Roman origin found on sites in Scotland not definitely associated with Roman constructions', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 66 1931-2, p.277-397. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 277-397. 337-8, 392; fig. 36 (1, 2).
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mann, J C. 1974. 'The northern frontier after AD 369', Glasgow Archaeol J Vol. 3 1974, p.34-42. Glasgow Archaeol J. 34-42. 35-6.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. GA 1013.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2310 5042 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- MODEL (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/71755 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.