MHG61465 - Kennels at Castle Leod - Strathpeffer

Summary

Ruined kennels, Castle Leod, Strathpeffer

Type and Period (1)

  • KENNELS (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A project of surveying and recording the archaeological sites within the grounds of Castle Leod was carried out by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS) in the winter of 2012-13.

Site 22. Kennels – This site comprises two rectangular buildings on a platform. The platform is recessed into the slope and has a concrete retaining wall to the rear. The buildings are on an E-W alignment, they are disused and overgrown with vegetation and young trees but are generally in good order: The east building is of stone construction and has a slate roof, abutting to the south there are three “runs”surrounded by high metal fences. This building is marked on 2nd edition OS map of 1904. The west building is constructed of corrugated iron and has two “runs”; it is not marked on the 2nd edition OS map of 1904. <1>

NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>

2nd Edition OS 6" <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4840 5965 (21m by 14m)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FODDERTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.