MHG61465 - Kennels at Castle Leod - Strathpeffer
Ruined kennels, Castle Leod, Strathpeffer
Type and Period (1)
- KENNELS (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A project of surveying and recording the archaeological sites within the grounds of Castle Leod was carried out by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS) in the winter of 2012-13.
Site 22. Kennels – This site comprises two rectangular buildings on a platform. The platform is recessed into the slope and has a concrete retaining wall to the rear. The buildings are on an E-W alignment, they are disused and overgrown with vegetation and young trees but are generally in good order: The east building is of stone construction and has a slate roof, abutting to the south there are three “runs”surrounded by high metal fences. This building is marked on 2nd edition OS map of 1904. The west building is constructed of corrugated iron and has two “runs”; it is not marked on the 2nd edition OS map of 1904. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
2nd Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 2013. Report of an archaeological survey of the Policies of Castle Leod, Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.15 Site 22.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4840 5965 (21m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12469 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.