MHG6147 - Bronze Socketed Axeheads - Husabost House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Centred 200 511.
(Area NG 200 511) Two socketed bronze axes were found in a rabbit hole 500 yards SSW of Husabost House. Both have a good green patina, recurved horns at the end of the cutting edge. One has an oblong socket with rounded corners, with a slight moulding under the mouth and a large stout loop. The other has an oval socket, the body of the axe being of decagonal section. Both are in the NMAS. Classed as a LBA hoard by Coles. (Acc. Nos. D.Q. 300 and 301)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1933; J M Coles 1962.
Hoard, found about 500 yards south-west of Husabost House, when digging a ferret out of a rabbit hole. - Socketed axe, smooth with pitting, green, trimmed, cutting edge notched; length 95mm, mouth 30 x 35mm, cutting edge 62mm, weight 310 gms - NMA (DG 300).
Socketed axe, relatively smooth, green, mouth damaged, loop missing, trimmed, one horn of cutting edge missing, hammered blade, decagonal body; length 107mm, mouth 25 x 28mm, cutting edge now 45mm, weight 190gms NMA (DQ 301).
P K Scmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 69.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DQ 300, DQ 301.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 184, No. 1039; 208, No.1249.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1933. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 67 1932-3, p.9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7, 312-17, 341-2,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7,. 312-13.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 1999 5110 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10932 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.