MHG61497 - MD Finds - Castle Stuart
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
There have been a number of finds submitted to Treasure Trove from the Castle Stuart Area. A general findspot record has been created for this material with a marginal four figure grid reference. TT nos. And descriptions are given below, and the material has all been allocated to Inverness Museum or disclaimed. For more detailed information about the assemblages (including more detailed GRs), Treasure Trove and Inverness Museum should be contacted. <1> <2>
TT 74/00: A medieval strap end and sword belt fastener. Listed under Acc. Nos. 2003.078.001-002. See attached TT report.
TT 09/03: A 17th century bridle boss. Listed under 2003.123. See attach TT report.
TT 21/13: A medieval annular brooch. Listed under 2013.020. See attached TT report.
TT 68/13: A medieval/early medieval ring headed pin and silver coin of James VI. The coin was disclaimed. The pin is listed under Acc. No. 2014.045.
TT 204/16: An 18th century copper alloy seal matrix with trilobe handle with holes. It is flat and circular with a fleur d'lis motif. Also a base metal finger ring, possibly medieval in date.
TT 221/16: A medieval copper alloy annular brooch with pin recess. The pin partially survived with collar at hinge end. The brooch frame appeared twisted like rope as decoration. It measures 27mm by 2.5mm and weighed 3.8g. Listed under Acc. No. 2018.016.
TT 10/17: A silver annular brooch or buckle with circular section. The pin was intact with folded loop attachment. It measured 17.1mm by 2.1mm and weighed 2.7g.
TT 11/17: A copper alloy harness pendant, sub-circular in shape with a cast animal motif within the border. There was traces of gilt on the border and attachment. It measured 17.7mm by 1.2mm.
TT 29/17: A bent copper alloy medieval dress pin with a polyheadral head and circular collar. There were traces of decoration on its head. It measured 100mm by 5.7mm.
TTNC 2013/095: A King John cut half penny from a silver half cross penny, c. 1194-1205. It was disclaimed.
TTNC 2013/102: A Elizabeth I third issue halfgroat (1583-1603). This coin was disclaimed.
TTNC 2015/013: A copper alloy strapend and plate from the Castle Stuart Estate. The strapend was made of two parts, with one part missing. Oblong plate with iron rivet with long moulded attachment piece. The plate was decorated with zoomorphic patterning. Both objects were disclaimed.
There is a TT artefact report for TT 68/13, however the object described within this is the polyheadral headed pin TT 29/17. This needs clarifying with Treasure Trove. GW 10/02/20
See MHG56879 for TT 159/09, another MD assemblage from the Castle Stuart area submitted to Treasure Trove which included a Early Medieval or Norse pin.
- --- Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 09/02.
- --- Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 74/00.
- --- Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 21/13.
- --- Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 68/13.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 09/03, TT 21/13, TT 68/13, TT 204/16, TT 221/16, TT 10/17, TT 11/17, TT 29/17. XY
- <2> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7500 5000 (60m by 60m)|
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- PIN (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- BRIDLE FITTING (17th Century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINGER RING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANNULAR BROOCH (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- COIN (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRAP END (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.