MHG61516 - Building - Achadh A'Chatha
Ruined building at Achadh A'Chatha
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising three unroofed buildings and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet lxxxvii). Four unroofed buildings and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 July 1996
A survey of the area around Achadh A'Chatha was undertaken by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) in 2002.
Site 3. Rectangular structure on a NE/SW axis measures internally 7m x 2.5m. Two compartments, possibly 3, N is 2.5m long and S is 3.5 m, much tumble to inside. Remains of the stone walls spread to 1m and are 0.5m high. Extension of NE wall to south for 6m is 0.2m in height. Possible entrance in SE wall of south compartment. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2017 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2003. Survey and Record of Visible Remains of the Settlements known as Achadh a' Chatha, Raitts Burn, Kingussie. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). 03/05/2003. . p.4 Site 3.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2017. Getmapping aerial photography 2017. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7841 0403 (11m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115696 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.