MHG61536 - Building - Achadh A'Chatha
Ruined building at Achadh A'Chatha (middle)
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A small township comprising four unroofed buildings and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet lxxxvii). Six unroofed buildings and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 July 1996
A survey of the area around Achadh A'Chatha (middle) was undertaken by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) in 2002. This settlement is situated at a height of 350m on a SW facing "spur" on the east bank of the Raitts Burn. It comprises 6 buildings, 2 enclosures and a platform. An area of improved land lies to the NE of the settlement which has a surrounding earth and stone bank.
Site 15. Rectangular structure on an E/W axis, situated on the edge of a steep south facing slope. Internal measurement is 12m x 2.5m. The substantial remains of stone walls are 0.6m in width and 0.5m in height (but in west 1m and north 0.8m). The building is open at its E end, where there is an extension of the north wall, 3m in length. Two compartments, east is 5m long and west is 7m long. There could be an entrance, 0.6m wide, in the south wall of the west compartment. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2017 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2003. Survey and Record of Visible Remains of the Settlements known as Achadh a' Chatha, Raitts Burn, Kingussie. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). 03/05/2003. . p.5 Site 15.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2017. Getmapping aerial photography 2017. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7822 0372 (15m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115697 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.