MHG61581 - Building - Achadh A'Chatha
Ruined building at Achadh A'Chatha (west)
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising three unroofed buildings, an enclosure, a field and a length of field wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet lxxxvii). Three unroofed buildings, an enclosure of four compartments, another enclosure and two fields are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 July 1996
A survey of the area around Achadh A'Chatha (west) was undertaken by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) in 2002. The settlement is situated at a height of 340m on glacial terraces of relatively fertile and well-drained land. To the north and west of the settlement there are large areas of improved ground, elevated and bisected by deepcut meltwater channels. There are two groups of buildings, each situated on its own terrace. The upper settlement is situated on a SE facing grassy terrace 30m north of the lower group of buildings.
Site 61. Building. On a NE/SW axis and situated in an elevated position the ground dropping away to the west and south. Measures internally 10m by 3m. Quite substantial stone wall footings are generally 0.6-0.7m, but 1m in height in places and 0.8m in width. They appear to be "battered" in places. There may be an entrance in the south wall of the east compartment and a possible partition dividing off the westmost 2m. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2003. Survey and Record of Visible Remains of the Settlements known as Achadh a' Chatha, Raitts Burn, Kingussie. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). 03/05/2003. . p.9 Site 61.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7789 0380 (14m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115738 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.