MHG61595 - Building - Raitts Burn, Alvie
Ruined building at Raitts Burn, Alvie
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A survey of Raitts Burn (?Achavourich) was undertaken by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) in 2002.
Building. Substantial remains of a substantial rectangular building on a NNE-SSW axis. Internal dimensions roughly 28m x 3mWalls - constructed of large dressed stones, courses 0.8m in width. Remains of NW wall rise to 1m, are turfed up at the rear and have much tumble to the inside. Remains of SE wall are roughly 0.5m high and have evidence of 3 entrances (see sketch). Evidence of two internal dividing walls at the west end, in the form of partial low stone footings. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2003. Survey and Record of Visible Remains of the Settlements known as Achadh a' Chatha, Raitts Burn, Kingussie. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). 03/05/2003. . p.10.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7761 0498 (22m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115738 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.