MHG61623 - Lade - Aigas forest, Beauly
Aigas Loch Lade in Aigas forest near Beauly
Type and Period (1)
- LADE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook a desk-based assessment followed by a walk-over survey at the request of Aigas Community Forest Trust in 2015/16. The forest was bought in April 2015 from the Forestry Commission under the Forestry Land Scheme. The Forest Trust was required to undertake an archaeological survey of the forest as part of its scoping for a Forest Design Plan. A variety of features were identified, many of which relate to the early years of the forest in mid-19th century.
Lade to Aigas Loch. A lade has been cut from the upper reaches of the Allt Cuil na Cailleach to run for approximately 470m, first south then east, to enter Aigas Loch. This lade is shown on the 1st edition OS map, when the loch was called Loch Cuil na Cailleach. The lade is now approximately 0.6m deep, and was dry at the time of the survey. Entry to the lade is controlled by a sluice, set into a concrete angled southern bank of the Allt. <1>
Ordnance Survey Mastermap <2>
Note: Site not visible on aerial photographs so location approximate. (T. Blackie 6/3/20)
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4516 4163 (252m by 313m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/354823 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.