MHG61661 - Seal Matrix - Avoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A medieval or post-medieval silver seal matrix was discovered by chance and submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 03/98). Its handle was in the shape of a cross and the seal face depicted three keys connected in a bunch. Corrosion had rendered the legend illegible. It was allocated to Inverness Museum, and is listed under Acc. No. 1998.053 in the IMAG catalogue. See attached TT summary sheet for photo of the seal. <1> <2> <3>
GIS spatial data is marginal and indicative of Avoch area only. It does not represent the precise findspot which is unknown. GW 17/03/20
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 03/98.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 03/98. XY
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1998.053.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6900 5500 (60m by 60m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.