MHG61672 - Stone Axehead - Glebe of Boleskine
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
A stone axehead from the 'Glebe of Boleskine' is on display at West Highland Museum (WHML114). Further details regarding the circumstances of the find and acquisition by the museum are needed if possible. <1>
The Glebe is shown on the 1st Edition 6" and 22" OS maps, and comprised at least three fields betwwen the Manse and church. On the 2nd Edition 25" OS map, however, it is not, and a farm to the north east of the Manse and east of the church, which was was previously labelled as 'Newton' is labelled 'Glebe'. In the absence of a precise findspot location for the axehead, GIS data had been approximated between these three buildings. <2> <3>
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: 2019. Finds Collection at West Highland Museum. WHS L114. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5078 1811 (60m by 60m)|
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.