MHG61686 - Later Prehistoric Settlement - S of Foulis Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- RING DITCH (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Geophysical surveys, undertaken by the University of Glasgow and members of ARCH in May 2012 as part of a community excavation training programme identified several anomalies which are likely to represent a later prehistoric settlement. These included a very clear circular post-ring structure of a probable round house roughly 10m in diameter, another circular structure roughly 10m in diameter to west of this, and two ring-ditch type features roughly 7.5 in diameter 10m SW and 36m S of the post ring structure. One of these ring-ditches had a possible post structure associated with it, represented by two post hole type features. An area of strong and variable magnetic readings were also identified south of the circular structures, covering an area roughly 30m by 25m. No coherent patterns were identified within this area but it may represent an area of activity associated with the circular structure. <1>
Iron Age radiocarbon dates were obtained from a possible midden feature a short distance north of this settlement (see MHG8945). It is possible that settlement area is also of Iron Age date and the midden feature is part of it. <2>
- --- Text/Publication: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Delve into the Past: A guide to the archaeological excavtions that took place at Fouls Castle in 2011 and 2012. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands. Digital. pp. 12-13.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Poller, T. 2012. Foulis Geophysical Survey May 2012: Geophysical data and Interpretation Report. University of Glasgow. Digital. pp. 4-5, figures 5-7. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Brown, L, McKeggie, L and McKeggie, L. 2012. Foulis Estate: Excavation of Foulis Mound and a possible routeway: Data structure report 2012. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5887 6387 (55m by 79m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.