MHG61719 - Smithy - Coille Gaireallach
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Alternate Type) SMITHY (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD) + Sci.Date
- STRUCTURE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
An oval structure (site LS08) was one of 29 selected by M Wildgoose from a previous walkover survey for further investigation as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project. It comprised a round ended structure which measuring 11 m by 7.5 m over walls 1.10 m thick. Two test pits were subsequently excavated in 2011. The first Test Pit 1 revealed a compacted layer of large charcoal pieces and iron slag lying on a cobbled surface associated with a pit containing a mass of iron slag and 4 plano-convex hearth bases. The second test pit showed that the wall consisted of boulder faces with a rubble and earth core. The cobbled surface and charcoal spread butted up to the inside face of the wall perhaps indicating that the cobbled floor was present over the entire interior of the structure. It has been summised from cobbled floor and the evidence of iron smelting and smithing that the structure was workshop or smithy and a radiocarbon date of AD760 - 890 demonstrated that it was of Early Medieval date. <1>
Summary of the landscape survey project and test pitting campaign.<2>
- <1> SHG28049 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 2016. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) and Environs Project: Data Structure Report: Landscape Survey 2006-2010. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital. LS08, illus. 7. XY
- <2> SHG24367 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S. & Wildgoose, M.. 2013. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) & Environs Project, Strath, Isle of Skye 2010/11: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Associated Surface Features: Data Structure Report - HPC007. West Coast Archaeological Services et al. 17/12/2014. Digital. pp 53-73, LS08.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6079 1961 (40m by 40m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SLAG (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.