MHG61852 - Structure - Allt Torigil, Broubster
A structure or a possible building at Allt Torigil, Broubster.
Type and Period (2)
- STRUCTURE (Unknown date)
- BUILDING (17th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD? to 1850 AD?)
A structure or a possible building at Allt Torigil, Broubster. Recorded originally by the OS as shieling 'X'.
(ND 033 595) Cairns (NR) (ND 031 592) Cairns (NR) Hut Circles (NR) (ND 033 589) Hut Circles & Enclosures (NR)
OS 6"map, (1963)
In area centred ND 032 592 there are the remains of thirteen hut circles or enclosures, twenty-five cairns, a burnt mound (see ND05NW 24), and the footings of four rectangular buildings (see ND05NW (M) 11). Visited by OS (R D) 9 November 1964.
‘X’ : ND0343 5895 Shieling;
(OSFI: JB: 23.7.1981)
The structure was recorded by R J Mercer and students of Edinburgh University during field survey in Caithness in the Spring of 1982. 286d: 'Structure'. Dimensions: 10m x 4m. Rectangular with a wall-spread of 1m. Orientation: N-S. To the N of (a). Elevation: 275'. ND 034590. <1>
This structure is visible in LiDAR data gathered by AOC Archaeology in 2011 as part of the mitigation for the visual impact on the archaeological landscape associated with the proposed Baillie Hill windfarm, Caithness. However, the feature was not identified in the initial data analysis and therefore is not recorded/listed in the project report. <2>
The structure lies within the Scheduled area of a roundhouse which was one of several designated by Historic Environment Scotland on 04/05/2016. <3>
GIS spatial data created in 2020 according to location of the feature as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. p.192, FOR 286d, Figs. 36 & 84.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G.. 2012. Baillie Hill and Cnoc Freiceadain, Caithness: LiDAR Survey. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Scheduled Monument Notification - SM13630: Broubster Village, roundhouses 855m, 745m and 695m SW of. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0343 5894 (5m by 13m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (3)
- http://bronzeagecaithness.aocarchaeology.com/lidar/ (View LiDAR data online)
- http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/designation/SM13630 (View HES Scheduled Monument description)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7699 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.