MHG61868 - ?C18 farmstead - Broubster, Caithness
A ?C18 farmstead at Broubster, Caithness.
Type and Period (4)
- BUILDING (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- LONGHOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE? (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- None recorded
A ?C18 farmstead at Broubster, Caithness, c.180m southeast of Broubster Cottage.
Building, identified in LiDAR data gathered by AOC Archaeology in 2011 as part of the mitigation for the visual impact on the archaeological landscape associated with the proposed Baillie Hill windfarm, Caithness. Ruinous remains of possible rectangular longhouse structure, oriented NE/SW, measuring 24m in length. <1>
This building is not shown on the OS 1st and 2nd Edition 6" or 25" maps. There are slight indications in the LiDAR data that the building is located in the southwest corner of a squarish enclosure [IS-L 29/06/2020].
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0224 6186 (55m by 43m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://bronzeagecaithness.aocarchaeology.com/lidar/ (View LiDAR data online)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.